Had ruptured ovarian cyst. Having pelvic and abdominal pain. Could it be cancer or IBS?

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Question: I've had some health issues this year, including what was apparently a ruptured ovarian cyst back in July. I'm 36 female, 5'4 165 lbs, I have had an increasing amount of pelvic and abdominal pain. There are many times this pain is centered on my right side- somewhat where my previous cyst was. This has been happening since around October 15th. My symptoms are often but not always worse after eating-almost anything. My lower back, just above the tailbone hurts severely, I have constant abdominal distention/bloating, it never goes away, feeling full after eating small amounts, have had a dramatic increase in weight over the past year, I'm really broken out on my face which is weird, I often have a feeling of something in the pit of my stomach, infrequent nausea, slight infrequent chest pain and tachycardia( isn't that when you get super fast fluttery feeling?), bowel changes include diarrhea at times, alternating with normal evac/slightly slow, lots of gas. Upon palpating my abdomen and pelvis I have found the whole area to be very sore, including my bladder, but primarily my right side has the sharpest pains. Often I wake up with complete abdominal and pelvic pain in the middle of the night, or I wake up in the morning with the pain. If I somehow wake up with less pain, when I drink my coffee and/or eat breakfast the pain is severe. I apparently don't have gallstones according to the CT and ultrasound scan taken last July. The pain feels like I"m in labor at times, other it's like knives stabbing all over the place in there. I have constant heaviness and pressure in my pelvis, some pains in my anus, at times even cramping there as well and heaviness there. This started right after one period and has lasted throughout another one, the back pain being excruciating at the onset of the last period. What helps? So far not eating helps a bit, heating pads and at times ibuprofen, at others the ibuprofen hurts, so I use it very sparingly. Stretching ALOT helps a tiny bit, breathing techniques. Please help. Before I go back to the ER I figured I'd see what you all thought, an ovarian cyst, ovarian cancer, IBS, a combo? I have been tested for STD's, have none, had a pap last summer- no abnormalities, had a wet mount vaginal swab which had a high level of WBC last summer.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
From your description the features go in favour of Endometriosis. For this you would need to consult a gastroenterlogist to rule out any GI cause by way of a CT scan of the abdomen. Having ruled out a GI cause then a gynaec endoscopy is a must to confirm the diagnosis of endometriosis.
In the mean time symptomatic treatment is required.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards