Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Had ruptured ear drum and started draining. Given ear drop but didn't clear, still have drainage. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
I have had a ruptured ear drum for 30 some years and it started draining about 3 weeks ago. I went to the doctor and got ear drops but that didn't clear it up. The infection went away but it still drains each night. It does not hurt. The draining is more water like with a little yellow.

I do not have insurance at this time and am worried about the cost of going to a specialist.

Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If no relief in another 3 weeks, then consult ENT

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

As per your history, you had a ruptured ear drum for 30 years. Did you have any discharge from your ear in between before the present three weeks ? If you had, then it seems that you have got a chronic ottitis media, in which the infection creeps into the ear, either due to a upper fibrosis of the perforation margin.Usually the mastoids are also affected in the chronic infection. In this case you may require a surgery to get a cure of your condition.

You can still try your local and systemic antibiotics for another three weeks, but if the discharge still persists, then I am afraid you have to consult an ENT specialist with your apprehensions about the insurance aspect. It is important to exclude other pathological conditions in the ear either independent, or arising out of the present problem of your ear which can be done only by detailed examination and some other investigations by an ENT specialist.

By the way, I would suggest you to get your blood sugar tested as a routine.

I hope I have answered your query. However you are welcome to ask question on any persisting doubt of yours on the topic. Thanks for using health care magic portal for your health query. Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor