Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Had rip replacement. Having pain in groin. May be Hernia. Should I wait to see a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 93 Questions
Tree weeks ago I had a hip replacement and since then I have had a pain in my groin and it has got progressively worse,My thoughts being that it may be a HERNIA.I am due to see my surgeon in another two week ,but I am getting more worried as the pain is getting stronger,should I wait that long?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

Pain after a hip replacement can be due to several things which include infections, nerve problems like radiculopathies, or inflammation of the brusae that surround the hip. Specifically, groin pain may develop if the iliopsoas muscle which raises the hip rubs against the acetabular cup.

Hernias, on the other hand, present with a dull ache accompanied by a bulging mass that may appear or disappear.

I, am however, at a disadvantage because I cannot physically examine the painful area as in a true consult. I would, therefore, suggest that you seek medical attention immediately if you have any of the following (aside from the pain):
1) any redness, warmth, and swelling around the area
2) fever, nausea, vomiting during the last couple of days
3) a bulging mass near your inguinal area/groin (this may point more to a hernia)
4) progressive pain that you cannot tolerate

Your physician/surgeon may do some examinations and prescribe some pain medications and exercises to help stretch the muscle and reduce the friction, if that is the case. A hernia, on the other hand, will need another simple surgical procedure to correct the defect.

In the meantime, you may try icing the area (which can help reduce both the possible inflammation and the pain). Rest the area and try not to move it in a way that can aggravate the pain. Do not hesitate to seek medical help if you notice any of the symptoms that I mentioned above.

I hope I was able to address your concerns adequately. If you have any other questions, I will be happy to help. If not, you may close the discussion and rate the answer. Take care and I wish you well!

Dr. Galera
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor