Had repeat c section done. Having slight burning sensation. Is this normal?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I am 7 weeks post repeat c section and still have a slight burning sensation on my right side and sometimes a feeling of warmth. I have no pain or fever. Is this normal and if so when will it go away?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later

Usually the pain due to surgery will subside in one to two weeks.
The possible causes for symptoms are:
-Sometimes when non-absorbable suture material was used for suturing the underlying layers of the abdomen, they may give some pricking sensation.
-Sometimes pelvic inflammatory disease can develop after surgery due to occurrence of some infection during surgery.
That can present with pain or burning sensation in the abdomen and with inflammatory signs like warmth, fever etc.
As you are not having pain or fever there is possibility of sub clinical infection.
-These can be just signs of ovulation or premenstrual syndrome.

If your symptoms become severe better to get examined once to find out the actual cause and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 25 hours later
thanks very much for the reply. I had let my ob/gyn know and she has said it's normal/part of the healing process which could take longer due to more scarring due to 2nd c-section. I mentioned it's the right side and she mentioned that is typical due to how the uterus goes back into place - does that sound right? I had my 6 week post partum appointment with my ob/gyn last week - she did an XXXXXXX exame and said everything was looking fine - she also did a pap smear and took some blood so I will see what those results come back as. I will keep her posted if I still feel it after 8 weeks. What is a subclinical infection and how would that get diagnosed?

thanks-XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 minutes later

The uterus will be usually dextro rotated, so there is more possibility of right sided symptoms as your doctor told.
Sub-clinical infection means mild infection which may not be sufficient enough to cause clinical symptoms and may not need treatment also.
That can subside soon with increasing immunity.
So you observe your symptoms if they decrease it is good, if not once get examined in your next visit.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 hours later
thank you very much for the reply. it's nice to get a second opinion! I will continue to monitor my symptoms and if not better by the 8 week XXXXXXX I will contact my doctor and talk to her about maybe getting an ultrasound done just to make sure everything is healing okay. I did take walk yesterday w/ the baby in the stroller and am feeling better today so will keep up trying to get moderate exercise daily. thanks-XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 40 minutes later

Yes, you can go for walk. It is a better exercise during post-cesarean period.
It will help in decreasing the pregnancy weight gain.