Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Had recurrent vaginal candidiasis. Vaginal swab culture showed klebsiella oxytoca. Do I need antibiotics to cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 816 Questions
I had recurrent vaginal candidiasis for which I took one month course of fluconazole weekly.vaginal swab culture done as there was still itching and burning came as klebsiella oxytocin .there was no growth of candida. I had 2 miscarriages already and trying to conceive.i m taking floreva probiotic I need antibiotic to cure this klebsiella infection and if I did , will candida recur.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Brief Answer: you should get investigations and antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Welcome to health care magic. The Candida infection has been sufficiently treated with fluconazole but growth of Klebsiella oxytoca is ominous. It is a very resistant kind of microorganism that is mostly treated with injectable antibiotics of highest generation. You will need fluconazole for 2 weeks more to prevent recurrence and antibiotics for Kleb. Oxytoca under care of a local physician. The antibiotics mostly effective against Klebsiella oxytoca are beta-lactum and beta lactamase combination, cephalosporin, aminoglycosides or quinolones. Your physician will know the regimen Please get a urine routine and culture/sensitivity, Complete blood count and Renal function test sampling before you start the antibiotics and antifungal medication. I hope the advice will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor