question-icon

Had protective sex. Having STD symptoms. Did STD test and all was normal. Suggestion?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jul 2013
Question: Hi Dr- I'm a 29 year old male. I have always used condoms but recently read an article that said even with condoms STD can occur. I have no STD symptoms (sores, etc.) anywhere. But based on this I recently did a full STD test and everything came negative except for a confusing result for Syphilis-

RPR Reactive ABNORMAL
RPR, Quant. 1:4 HIGH
Treponema pallidum Antibodies NEGATIVE

Does this mean it's negative or positive for syphilis? Should I test again and if so when? My last sexual encounter was 4 weeks ago. If it's negative, why the REACTIVE result in RPR?

Thanks
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (5 hours later)

Welcome to XXXXXXX

STDs can occur over the area uncovered by the condom due to contact with lesions elsewhere. Foe example, over the base of penis, scrotum, lip inner aspect of thigh in rare instance.
As there is no such symptoms for you, you need not bother about STDs. Test with Treponema Pallidum antigen is more specific test for syphilis. It will be always positive in the presence or even with the past and treated syphilitic infection. RPR has more prognostic value by which physician will decide the response to treatment or disease progression.
It may be positive in some other conditions other than syphilis.
So you need not worry about any STD at present and follow your physician's advice.
Dr S. Murugan

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist