Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Had protected sex with prostitute. Worried about HIV infection. Suggest

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 180 Questions
This is for the first time, I had a sex with prostitute yesterday, but used the condom, thereafter, since yesterday i am feeling so scared about the infection of HIV and beside this also I am feeling myself guilty, hopefully I will trynot to repeat it, Can you please give the solution, what would be impact of that sex - right now since yesterday I am very much tense and can't think anything other than this - need your advice, if bymistake sometime again I go anywhere, what the precaution I have to take
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 58 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX
First of all, if the status of your partner is seronegative, nothing will be transmitted to you unless she is in the window period.

If she is seropositive, but no exchange of body fluid occurred, again you will be at the safer side.

If you have a suspicion on your act regarding possible transfer of body fluid, visit your STD specialist, who may, after evaluation, keep you on ART. You can go for HIV testing at least to know your baseline status.
For precaution
1. The best partnership is a mutually monogamous partnership in which both members are uninfected.
2.Do not have sex with anyone who is either HIV positive or refuses to disclose the recent HIV test information.
3. It is essential to use a latex condom and a lubricant (to prevent condom tears) during intercourse of any kind.

Need more information, contact me, I ll be answer.

God bless you .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had protected sex with prostitute. Worried about HIV infection. Suggest 6 hours later
Hi, Doctor,
thanks for your morale boosting support. But doctor, before I did the sex with the lady, she confirmed me that she always goes for blood test after every two / three months, and she always uses customers to use condom.
I had also done the same thing by using condom. But as you know, this is for the first for me, I am unable to concentrate on anything, I want to forget that episode, but inner sense is not allowing me to do so. I made a mistake that I know. But i used condom, still I need to consult doctor, if yes, what the procedure I have to follow, the condom was ok, it did not got teared up and the fluid did not flow here and there. But still when I remember that episode, I really get scared.
I want your help in this regard
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 4 hours later
Thanks for coming with more information.
What I understood from you, the chances of transmission is negligible.
I again repeat, if you think there was no body fluid exchange during the act you are out of the danger of contracting the disease, even if she is in the window period.

You can contact a specialist practicing infectious diseases or visit a STD clinic. Most of the medical college hospitals have STD clinics. You may also visit a integrated counselling and testing center (ICTC). It is also present in many hospitals and medical colleges.

All the best.
If you don't have any more querries, you may close the discussion and rate it.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor