Had protected sex after periods. Having abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding. What's going on?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: The last day of my period was 10 days ago and today I woke up with lower abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding. I had sex with my boyfriend 3 days ago, but we used protection. What could be going on? I'm freaking out, please help!
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 17 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Before I answer your I would like you to tell me few things.

1. What protection did you use? when did you have intercourse?

2. Was your last period on the expected date and how was the flow? was the flow less?

3. Did you use or were using any hormonal pills?

4. Do you have regular cycles?

Kindly revert back with the answers.

Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 18 minutes later
I used conceptrol, it a gel inserted into the vagina before intercourse, which was Friday (3 days ago) Last week I had to use the morning after pill, not sure that has anything to do with it?

My period was on the expected day. The flow was pretty normal, maybe the last 2 days the flow was a little lighter than normal? but I still didn't take note of it as abnormal.

I was not using any hormonal pills.

I have very regular cycles. I think this is probably normal, but usually when I'm on my period it'll be really heavy along with severe cramps for the first 2 days, and it will significantly slow down by the 3rd, then on the 4th day it'll completely stop, then start back up again for 2 days. Its like that every month for every period.

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for the information.

The unexpected vaginal bleeding you had was probably because of the morning after pill.

These pills contain hormone and can alter cycles, result in unexpected vaginal spotting or bleeding.

So you should not worry.

However if you miss your next periods, pregnancy test is advisable to rule out the remote chances of unexpected pregnancy.

Also if you keep bleeding for long and heavy, consultation with a gynecologist would be needed for an XXXXXXX examination.

I hope I have answered your query.