Had protected sex. Noticed itchy rashes on scrotum. Could it be herpes?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi, I have what seems to be a rash on my scrotum and where the scrotum meets my pelvic area. I had protected sex with a girl I met at a bar on Friday night. I might have been itching the area on Sunday - and probably paying too much attention to it currently. Worried it could be herpes. She did not appear to have anything weird going on with her pubic region when we had sex.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later

Although, you had a protected sex, this protection is only for your penis and not for other parts.

The itchy rash over the root of your scrotum may either be due to fungal skin infection (Dermatophytes) or may be due to seborrheic dermatitis. Both are non venereal and may be possibly transmitted through close skin contact.
In Herpes you may likely to develop tiny grouped vesicles after a day or two following the itching. If there are no vesicles or soreness, don't bother about Genital Herpes.

Consult your physician, he/she will be able to tell the exact reason for your scrotal itching and also the appropriate treatment.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli