Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Had protected sex. Missing periods. Is this is a sign of pregnancy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
My mensuration stops after having sex with my boy friend.It was supposed to be on 20 th last month but till today there is no sign of mensuration.We had sex on 8th of Sept. He wore a condom a there was no leakage inside. Is this is a sign of pregnancy!I am in tensed now and do not know what to do next.Please provide me some suggestion.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 39 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I a woman who has previously had regular cycles, and who is late for her period, pregnancy must be the first consideration.

If he always wore a condom, and it never broke, then the chance of pregnancy is extremely low. But you need to perform a pregnancy test just to be sure.

in terms of what is going on, this will most likely be related to irregular cycles and irregularity in terms of when you ovulate. This is normal but should be addressed with your doctor.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any more questions. - DR XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Missing periods. Is this is a sign of pregnancy? 2 hours later
Thank you sir for your reply. Sir after doing pregnancy test if it is found that the result is positive then what are the solution available to avoid pregnancy.As we had sex on 8th of Sept,what are the steps we need take now to bring back the normal period.Please guide me.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
If the pregnancy test is positive then you are pregnant. You would have to decide if you are going to continue the pregnancy. If you are not, you would have to talk with your doctor about options for terminating the pregnancy. Without knowing how far along you are, and without an ultrasound (in the case of a pregnancy) I would feel uncomfortable commenting on options.

If the test is negative, then I imagine that your period will be coming on soon anyway - so I would just observe for now if the test is negative. Sometimes a short course of progesterone (available from your doctor) will induce a period, after which you could start on pills to regulate the cycle.

I hope this helps!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Missing periods. Is this is a sign of pregnancy? 43 hours later
Hello Sir
i have done with the home pregnancy test and result came as negative.Sir please let me know what should i do next to get my period back.As it was supposed to had on 20th sep 2012.But till now i have not observed anything after having safe sex with my boyfriend on 8th sep 2012.Please help me out.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 hours later
So, the reason that this has most likely happened is related to delayed or absent ovulation. You are not pregnant, and you are not getting your cycle.

The best way to induce a menses is to ask your doctor for a 5 or 10 day course of oral progesterone. You will take this medication after which, after stopping, your period will come.

At that point, it would be worth considering some kind of birth control pill to regulate your cycle.

Good Luck and sorry for the delay in responding to you!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Missing periods. Is this is a sign of pregnancy? 5 hours later
Can i take primolut N tablets for 5 days to bring back period
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 days later
Ideally, I would want you to be examined before starting oral progesterone (Primolut N). I wouldn't recommend you start the pills on your own.

Good luck!!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor