Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Had protected sex. Missing period, getting white discharge. Am I pregnant?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions
Hi, Its been close to 2 months i got my periods. last was on DEC-middle, white discharge is something keep happening like 4-5 days in week, what do i need to do ? I'm really frustrated if i'm pregnant, had sex like one week before it was a safe sex only. i eat well, also taking some iron tablets cause i was diagnosed anemic recent visit to dr advised to continue medicines for 3 months. kindly help me with this.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Since your periods are overdue, you should first test your urine for pregnancy using the kits available at all the pharmacies. In case the urine test is negative then other causes of delayed periods need to be evaluated.

The other reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.

Hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumour causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause after pregnancy is ruled out.

Please visit your Gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Missing period, getting white discharge. Am I pregnant? 6 hours later
Fine, i've tested urine for pregnancy it was negative, is there any home made remedies available before i can reach out to gyno, since i stay at hostel and near my place i don't want to consult any doctors. i can able to fix appointment only in last week of this month..
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

It is good that the pregnancy test is negative. The delay in periods is then likely to be due to hormonal imbalance.

Home made remedies cannot help you in correcting the hormonal imbalance. You will have to consult a gynecologist whenever possible for proper treatment to regularize your cycles.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Missing period, getting white discharge. Am I pregnant? 19 minutes later
Thanks for your reply, i would like to know because of me taking the iron tablets there may be some hormone imbalance ? since my blood count of HB was 5.9 in may-2012, has been raised up to 8.2 in Jan-2013.before i consult gyno, do i need to alter some diet ? like intake of more fiber foods ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
The delay in periods could be due to low hemoglobin levels. This has to be treated with oral iron supplements, a multivitamin supplement and folic acid like FEFOL-Z. Oral iron supplements are prescription drugs and you would need to see your physician for the same. At the same time, you can take Vitamin C- Tablet Centrum 1 tablet in the morning 1 hour after food.

The following foods are XXXXXXX in iron and would prove useful for you:

a. Beans
b. Legumes
c. Grains
d. Meats
e. Jaggery
f. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables like spinach

All these supplements and dietary modifications can help in restoring your normal cycles.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor