Had protected sex. Developed urethral infection and conjunctivitis. Am I at the risk of STD?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello Doctor
i'm 24 years Old circumcised
85 days ago i had protected vaginal sex unprotected oral sex with a girl i met on the internet 2 weeks later i developed Urethral infection and later conjunctivitis the doctors claimed it might chlamydia or etc, there was no discharge,backpain or any visible blisters on penis, just tingling pain and urination pain. he gave me antibiotics and i got well after almost week and half from both.
the girl had visible cold sore under her lip which is a sign for herpes and after 2 weeks she was suffering from cold sore and chest pain and fever, she didn't respond to medications so she was given IV injection and she had recurrent fever for more than a month, i haven't met her after that night but i was just chatting with her and she was telling me this ..

anyways i started to get anxious that i might have catch hiv and other STDs, so i started doing more tests
i did HAV, HBV HCV, HEV test after one month and half of the incident and the results were negative
i did HIV test at 9 weeks (65) days and it also came out negative
i did another HIV test at 12 weeks (85) days and it also came out negative today.
i also did Syphilis test at 12 weeks (85) days again it came out negative.

1- is the hepatitis tests enough at 7 weeks??
2-is the HIV test and 9 weeks then another one at 12 weeks Conclusive? some suggest three months will 5 days make a difference?
3- is the syphilis test conclusive at 12 weeks?
4-do i need more test that i should be doing??
5- should i stop worrying and move on with my life, i'm also worried for my wife do you think it's safe to have unprotected sex with her now???

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing.
I can understand your anxiety but there is nothing to be worried about.
Only hepatitis B and C are sexually transmissible.As you have tested for them negative there is nothing to be worried about.
1.Hepatitis test at 7 weeks is good enough.As the results are negative there is nothing more to be done.
2.HIV test at 12 weeks is conclusive.Negative test rules out HIV infection.Just let me know the nature of test taken.Was it antibody based ELISA test or confirmative test like western blot or PCR test.
3.Syphilis test is also conclusive at 12 weeks.Also what was the nature of test for syphilis?Was it RPR/VDRL /TPHA test.
4.You need not do any more test at present.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for any further clarification you may need.
Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology.

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
thanks alot for the quick reply
1-the test for HIV was Elisa antibody test at 12 weeks, here in China they don't have those other tests.
that's why i was concerned if i need to do another test after 5 days i.e 3 months or wait another 6 months as some websites suggest....

2-the syphilis test was rpr/vldrl as i think..

can i say WO'HOO and move on with my girl friend or wait for another 5 days or 6 months

THANKS.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 26 minutes later
Hi again XXXXXXX,

Elisa test at 12 weeks is more than 99.99 % conclusive.
negative tests reassure that you dont have HIV.
The test for HIV and syphilis are very dependable.
There is nothing to be worried about and you can move on with life.
In future remember that it is better be careful than to be sorry.

Regards.
DrSudarshan
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 19 minutes later
Thank you soooooo MUCH Doctor i'm sooooooo happpy to hear that ^_^

i have been through stress these days ^_^.....

i have finaly questions,
the girl had black boyfriends before and i heard that there is some hiv strain in africa that is called Q or P strain or something, they are saying it cannot be detected on tests, or sometimes cannot be detected early is that true, did u hear of such strains ??.. and is there any test to do to detect that if it's true? do i have to worry about that in my case ...?????

thank you for the advice, i became more faithful and i thank God that he saved me and i'm planning to marry soon i will never ever do such a foolish action again, i'm glad about the stressful time i went through because it was experience for me

Praise to Lord.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX,
There a few strains which are not detected on routine antibody based tests.In your case that is not to be considered as persons infected with them show some kind of menifestations .Would not cause silent infection.within few months they cause manifestations.As you are totally asymptomatic, you are non reactive.Just move on with life and be faithful.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
THANKSSS.
will take your Advice.is dry skin, dry lips, and enlarged lymphnodes under tonsils among the manifestations ? what are the tests should i do to rule out that too?
or do u think i don't need to do any other ruling out test ?

this is last question.
thank you and byeee..
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
The symptoms are not related to HIV and no other testing is required.
If you are satisfied with the answer ,please accept it and rate it at the end.
regards.