Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Had protected sex. Condom slipped. Small, red painless welt on my eyelid and diarrhea. Will I be okay despite having bi-polar disorder?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions

On May 8th I had protected sex with a guy in France, however, the condom slipped, and we used another. My concerns are: within hours of the event I had developed flu like symptoms; within a week - a small red painless welt on my eyelid, and diarrohea. I have also been having a seemingly endless period throughout this time. I seem to tire easily too. I'm really scared Ive contracted Aids/Hiv. Please can you help? I understand that I have to wait 3 mths for a first screening. I also have Bi Polar disorder for which I'm prescribed Lithium and Abilify aripiprazole. General health apart from this is fine.

Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As your partner have used condom during sex, chances of HIV transmission from him (if he is HIV positive) to you are negligible.

After HIV transmission also, if it is progressing to acute infection stage, its symptoms generally takes 2 to 4 weeks to develop, thus flu like symptoms, which you developed within hours can be a coincidence. Unexplained diarrhea for more than a month is a symptom of AIDS. HIV infection generally takes many years to reach the stage of AIDS.

After infection with HIV, antibodies takes 3 to 12 weeks to develop, but it can take up to 6 months. Thus you can get it tested at present also, but for surety test after 3 and 6 months will be required again. Test is generally available free of cost at government hospitals.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you have further query in this regard, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Condom slipped. Small, red painless welt on my eyelid and diarrhea. Will I be okay despite having bi-polar disorder? 35 minutes later
What about the red welt on my eyelid? i have heard that this is an early sign? And also the fact that the condom slipped that could also be a worry. And the tiredness. Sorry but you didnt answer my question very well and I need to know as much as possible asap
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 6 hours later

Welcome again,

A single red welt on eye lid doesn't have much importance. It is not a generalized reaction to any disease. It can be a stye if located on the margin or reaction to mosquito bite.

As it requires examination, you should consult an Eye specialist or skin specialist for small red welt on your eye lid.

Though Condom slipped during intercourse, but HIV is mainly transmitted through semen and I presume that condom was there at the time of semen discharge.

Flu like symptoms and loose motion indicates that you were suffering with some kind of infection at that time, which gave you feeling of tiredness.

I have answered your query with the intention that you should not develop any anxiety about HIV infection till it is not confirmed through test for HIV.

Otherwise it was very easy for me to answer that due to slip of condom you are at risk of transmission and all your symptoms are in favor of HIV infection, so you should wait for 3 months to get it confirmed and take decision according to report.

If I have not answered well, I feel really sorry for this.

Our motto is not money, but our main motto is patients satisfaction, thus if you are still not satisfied, you just convey it to me, I will leave your query, so that any other doctor can reply. If you want to ask any further query in this regard from me, I can try to satisfy you with my answer. Choice is yours.

With good wishes,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor