Had protected oral sex. Should I be worried about HIV?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Respected Doctor, I wish to solicit a second opinion. I work abroad. On 20th October I had a interaction with a CSW. 1. There was no intercourse (vaginal or anal) 2. There was no cunnilingus from my side on her 3. We had a brief foreplay followed by protected fellatio from her side. The condom was intact. 4. I briefly fingered her clitoris area, but no insertion of fingers into the vagina. I subsequently self mastruated with the same hand with perhaps her secretion on my hand. I contacted a local clinic checking if I need to take PEP. The doctor suggested against it as he considered my exposure to be very minimal to be impacted. I wanted to seek your second opinion. I am at my wits end with worry and so I am seeking your support. Is there any other thing that I also need to be taking note of with this interaction.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV risk is almost nil. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. You had no intercourse but had a protected oral sex. So the risk of HIV for you through these acts is almost nil. Fingering carries a negligible risk. But you had no fingering also.Just handling clitoris of the CSW, even if we consider she is HIV positive, and masturbating with the same hand carry almost no risk for HIV. As your physician told you need no PEP. Feel free. You will not get HIV. You can clear your doubts and confirm that you are HIV free by having a HIV test after three months of your encounter with that lady. If you are already confident the test is also not necessary. DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 13 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you. Permit me to ask you a follow up question. The lady did suck around my genital area at the time of oral. There was a small acne like.boil near my penis which had almost healed. But we did not have any intercourse or return oral sex from my side.Does this impact your assessment. Finally is a DUO at the end of 4 weeks. OR PCR at the end of 15 days a good indicator Thank You
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Saliva not infectious.Test after 4weeks preferable Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Human saliva is not infectious and licking around genitals (protected Fellatio) even in presence of a boil has only very negligible risk for HIV. So nothing to worry. Both the tests are equally good and reliable, but more conclusive only after 4 weeks, including the PCR. Dr S XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 38 hours later
Sir Last follow up from my side. Am I at risk for other STI's. Also my spouse and child drank from the same bottle that I drank. Is there anything that I need to worry about. Finally one more time requesting you to assess if I am at risk for HIV . Thank You
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Risk for STD/HIV to souse and children is nil Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome once again. STD through oral sex is rare, that when you had a protected fellatio it is almost nil. Similarly as I already had told you the the risk for HIV is negligible. One cannot get HIV/std through inanimate objects like bottle and drinking water as these STD/HIV organism cannot survive outside the genitals and out of the body fluids even for few seconds. So the risk of STD/HIV for your spouse and children is almost nil. Nothing to worry at all. DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 48 hours later
Sir, I believe this is the last follow up question I am allowed, kindly permit me to use it. After the self mastrubation with the same fingers that I used to massage her clit area, I immediately washed with soap my hands and penis. During my reading on this topic I came across a note that it is not suggested to wash up immedialtely after sex. Just wanted to solicit your expert opinion does washing with soap puts me at any risk http://napster.in/washing-the-penis-after-sex-may-increase-hiv-infection/ I wanted to THANK YOU for all your response and support . Regards
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gentle genital washing help in prevention of HIV Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back with your new query. Genital washing with harsh soaps as with African people and harsh washing may likely to predispose to abrasions and inflammation which may fasten HIV spread and the pH concept and all recently put forth and may be denied after sometime. But still I believe that gentle genital washing will definitely dilute the viral concentration and will help in prevention of HIV. In your case it is clitorial handling, then masturbation and then washing immediately would not increase your chances of getting HIV in anyway. Dr S XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E