Had protected oral and vaginal sex. HIV tests negative. Should I worry for STD and HIV?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: On 31 October, I was in Antwerp and ended up with a prostitute. She looked clean and put on a condom on my penis the first thing. Then she gave me a quick oral erection and we had protected vaginal sex for 3-4 mins. I am quite terrified at being exposed to various STD's. On day 6 after the exposure, I took a p24 and HIV 1&2 combo test, vdrl, urine, hep c test. All came negative. Then again at day 14 I took the p24 and HIV 1&2 combo test, again came negative. On day 15 I took the HIV 1 RNA PCR test, which also came negative. What do you suggest doctor? Should I go for additional tests? I am scared?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: No test needed at this point. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. As you had a protected sexual encounter there is very little or nil risk of STDs or HIV.Condom is very much protective against majority of STDs when it is used properly as in your case. HIV RNA PCR is sensitive and accurate test for detection of HIV infection. Negative test at 15 days rules out infection. At present you need not undergo any test for STDs. You should not worry at all and move on with your life. Hope this eases your stressed mind. If you need any further clarification do let me know. Regards DrSudarshan. MD Dermatology/STD specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 37 minutes later
Thank you doctor. But the RNA PCR test was only for HIV 1. What about the HIV 2 strain? As this happened in Europe, should I be worried about that?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No need to worry Detailed Answer: Hi Again , You are correct about HIV RNA PCR testing only type 1 HIV. HIV 2 infection can be tested by newer ELISA ,but ELISA reliably becomes positive after 3 months. As you tested for p24 antigen and reported negative ,it signifies that HIV 2 infection is also not present. So there is nothing to be worried about. Hope this helps. I will be available for follow up. Regards DrSudarshan
Thank you doctor. I did the p24 combo HIV 1&2 test at 14 days. I have a family. Can I continue as a normal person and have unprotected relations with my spouse? What do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Move on with life Detailed Answer: Hi again, You should now move on as normal and can have unprotected relation with your wife.Hope this eases your mind. I will be available in future for any further queries regarding skin or STDs. Regards. DrSudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 2 days later
After this incident happened in Antwerp, I came back to my hotel and took a thorough bath. After three hours I started noticing burning sensation in my upper thighs. There was no redness but only burning sensation, so I applied moisturizer and went on. At day 11, I showed it to a dermatologist and he diagnosed it to be a fungal infection, and started Mr on flucanazole 150 mg twice in six days with betnovate gm ointment. The infection started to go away. On 19 day I had to operated for piles, and so they shaved the Pubic area with savlon and a razor. I developed a very red rash/allergy in my scrotum and base penile area. I had no pain, just razor burning sensation. The dermatologist diagnosed irritant skin dermatitis and put me on procott once a day and candila ointment twice a day, and flucanazole 150 1.5 tabs a week. The redness is getting better but should I be more concerned about this rash?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue procott cream Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thanks for writing in. According to your history it appears that you have got Irritant contact dermatitis. You can continue with procott cream twice a day.Stop candila cream. You can take remaining fluconazole 150 tablets. Rash should resolve by 7-10 days. There is nothing to be concerned about. Hope this helps. Regards DrSudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 4 days later
Dear Dr, I am sorry, but I had done the p24 ag +an test on the 13 day and not the 14 as mentioned in my earlier message. Also, I had done the HIV 1 RNA quantitative PCR Test on the 14 day instead of 15 days. Does this change my situation? I have a 1.5 year old son and wife, although I don't have any symptoms of any STD like chlamydia and gnorrrhea, and the vdrl test on 6 day and Hsv 1+2 igm reported negative on the 9 day. I don't have any blisters or discharge from penis. Is it possible to transmit any infection by touching or kissing my wife and son? As today is the 28th day, do you recommend taking the p24 Ag+An combo test again?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No symptoms No STDs. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Day 13 or 14 does not change the position much. As on day 28 you do not have any symptoms of STDs.You cannot transmit any disease to your wife or children.To be absolutely sure of your negative status you can go for combo test again now.The negative result will further reinforce your negative status. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 16 hours later
Hello again, I went in for the p24 ag+ab test today being the 28 day as you had suggested. The result came out as negative. I also tested for vdrl(RPR) today which also came back as negative. I guess that puts too rest all my worries? Do you suggest any further tests?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Move on Detailed Answer: Hi again, Its good to know that both tests were negative on day 28. I recommend no further testing. You should move on in life and be careful in future. I wish you a healthy life ahead, Regards drSudarshan
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 39 minutes later
Thank you very much for support doctor.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rate the answer Detailed Answer: HI, Thanks for consulting me. If you are satisfied with the answer please rate it at the end. I will be available for any skin related queries in future. Regards.