Owl Image

Had polyps removed from bowels. Can detect HIV from this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012
Excellent

Question
hi i have just had polyps removed from bowels the hospital is now checking these could they find out from the polyps if i had a disease ie hiv present or not
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

You told that it was a polyp. Now, polyp are of many types. Some of them are benign and some are dysplastic, even cancerous. The nature of polyp you had, can only be told after the histopathological examination of removed polyp. Before that nothing can be told definitely.

Now, in a patient with HIV, it is unnatural to have polyp solely due to HIV infection. HIV is not a predisposing factor of polyp. And, HIV cannot be diagnosed from a polyp. For diagnosis of HIV, you have to do serological tests like ELISA tests for HIV 1& 2.

So, from a polyp it can be said, whether, it is a benign lesion or a malignant lesion. But, it cannot be said whether you are suffering from HIV or not.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.