Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Had polyps removed. Suffering from premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Suggested for surgery. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
Two years ago; I had polyps removed from my uterine lining. I was having very heavy flows during my menstrual cycles. Now; I spot almost every day, and I still have heavy flows now and then. I also suffer from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I have tried many birth control pills which gave me a rash or itchy skin. My gynecologist has suggested surgery: removing my ovaries, or the lining of my uterus. I wish to keep my fertility. What other options do I have?
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

You can try dilatation and curettage or Mirena coil insertion.

Mirena coil is an intrauterine device which controls the bleeding and it is a reversible method means you can get it removed if you want to conceive.

Both these procedures give good results in case of an endometrial hyperplasia

As you are having history of an endometrial polyp removal which is usually associated with endometrial hyperplasia in which curettage gives good results.

Hysteroscopic curettage is better as it is done directly under vision.

Removing ovaries without uterus is not the answer.

Till then you can try progesterone in the form of norethisterone or medroxyprogesterone but should be taken under guidance and prescription of a gynaecologist.

For PMS you can try Simrose oil capsules or Omega-3-fatty acid supplements or Vit E capsules under your doctor's guidance and prescription

Best wishes

Take care

Any further query is most welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor