Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Had plates in arm. Area below elbow has swollen and suffers pain. Suggest?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hi. My husband had 2 plates in his right arm just over 10 years ago. Over the last 7 days an area below the elbow has swollen slightly and he suffers a severe pain if that area of the arm is touched. What might this be due to?

Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

It might be due to loosening of plates and erosion of bone or due to infection in the area.

I suggest you to go for an xray to see the present status of bone and implant.
Consult you orthopaedician for thorough evaluation and appropriate treatment.

Meanwhile give rest to your arm and elbow, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Take care.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor