Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Had pain in the groin. US was normal and tube in testicles seems to be swollen. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5761 Questions
Hi about a year ago I had this pain in the groin on the right side I saw my gp he sent me for a ultra sound and nothing was found about a week ago it has come back it comes and goes I also noticed that the tube going to right testicle seems to be swollen what is happening should I be worried
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

What kind of ultrasound was done year ago? Was it groin ultrasound or abdominal ultrasound?

Your symptoms seem to be caused by inguinal hernia which goes down to the testicles. It can happen that the hernia can not be seen in the ultrasound as it can come and go.

Please make a simple test. Put your hand to your groin area (where the pain appears) while standing and try to cough few times. If you will feel a lump which is getting bigger when coughing or the pain is stronger when coughing, hernia it is.

Other possible reasons of your symptoms are testicle inflammation, testicle cyst.

I suggest you to have groin ultrasound once again. You should also visit general surgeon for physical examination.

In a meanwhile please do not lift heavy objects.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had pain in the groin. US was normal and tube in testicles seems to be swollen. Suggest? 14 minutes later
it was an scan of the testicles and the and the groin
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
The hernia could be missed in this test or has gone before the test. Ultrasound should be done again.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor