Had pain during sex. Removed IUD. Feeling sleepy, moody with sore boobs and brown clots. What is it?

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello I am a 22 year old female. I removed my iud 3-4 weeks ago when having sex with my boy friend and the pain was to much to bare. After removed I felt great! A few days later i started feeling sleepy and moody this last week I my boobs are so sore, I'm nausea, dizzy and I have had brown clots and cramps.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please test for pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. If you have had a pelvic examination done while getting the IUD removed and the cause of the pain was the IUD itself, there is no reason to worry about the pain. As you are no longer protected, if you happen to have had intercourse during the fertile period, i.e., during the mid-cycle, you can expect conception. Your symptoms indicate progesterone effects; they could be due to a very early pregnancy or an impending period (the brown clots and cramps are suggestive). I would ask you to get a serum beta-hCG estimation along with a trans-vaginal sonogram to clarify the issue. If pregnancy is excluded, you can expect your normal period in a few days and if it does not happen, see your consultant for further help. Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 11 minutes later
I had a 3 day off and on period last week and the brown clots started yesterday and some more today( not as bad) . I took a Home pregance test last night and one again this morning both neg. There was no exam done after my iud was removed because the pain was bad i took it out my self. I have no insurance so i will only go to the doctor if i have to.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: You do need an examination. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. As you have had a normal period and repeated negative tests for pregnancy, conception is a rare possibility. I would suggest a pelvic examination along with a sonogram as you have removed the IUD yourself and verification is necessary in such an event. It needs to be checked if you have damaged any part of the uterus or if the removal has been complete. So, please try to get it done. Hope your doubt has been clarified. Please contact for further information. I will be ready to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN