Had ovary removed. Experiencing lower abdominal pain, headache, nausea and diarrhea. What's causing this?

Posted on Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Question: issuesI am a 22 year old female with a history of ovarian cyst. in may of 2011 i had my right ovary removed. I am not currently taking any medications. for the past week and a half I have been experiencing lower left side and abdominal pain. it is now accompanied by a constant headache, heartburn, back pain, nausea, vomiting, and occasional diarrhea. what could this be caused from and should I go to the emergency room? I don't currently have insurance coverage until March and am currently broke.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

This could be related to:
1. GI illness - gastroenteritis
2. A recurrent ovarian cyst
3. A pregnancy

You need to at the very least do a home pregnancy test. Given the duration of symptoms, though, of over one week, with significant abdominal pain and vomiting, you need to be seen in an ER or urgent care setting to evaluate this further.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 38 minutes later
if it is another cyst, what is the likeliness that I need to have my other ovary removed as well? also, if I keep getting recurring cyst does that mean I have pcos? how is that diagnosed?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
If you have another ovarian cyst, it is very unlikely that you would lose the ovary over it. In skilled hands, and ovarian cyst can be removed from an ovary without removing the ovary.

A single painful ovarian cyst is not a problem related to PCOS.

As the answer to the question about how diagnosis of PCOS is not related to your original question, and is quite an extensive answer, I would ask that you post this as a separate question.
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later
thanks for the help. i am currently sitting in the er waiting to find out what's going on
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 minutes later
Good luck - I think it was a wise choice to go in for help. Please update me later as to what was found!
Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN