Had multiple injuries and suffering from pain in shoulder, neck and spine

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: History of recent events/symptoms I was sick for longer than a week with fever through two or three mornings. Then just after that seems I was bit by a spider on the side of my neck Began needing to urinate a lot and often and seems as if laying down and going to bed at night causes me to need to more Tones in ears - high pitch that varies with movement and sounds (This is not new though) The following then started: Started having headaches Stomach don't feel good after eating and swells - seems to be worse at lunch time (this may have been already happening prior to the spider bite and sickness prior to it.) Lower back started hurting a lot more than previously - both sides Old hernia repair area is hurting a lot Feeling realy bad with odd taste in mouth - for about a day or two foods didn't taste right Headaches worse and longer 10-04-2013 went to Dr. My blood pressure is "good" but a lot higher than mine usually has been. He had x-rays made of my lower back and said that the pain in my lower sides was coming from lower spine. He referred me to a Chiropractor and wrote a prescription for pain. The pain in the sides of my lower back got better and my low back seems better but my neck and shoulders are hurting more. Old hernia repair is still hurting a lot Still urinating a lot but has maybe slowed some Stomach is still bothering me after eating 10-29-2013 visit to Chiropractor my blood pressure was even higher (14?/??) My norm had been closer to upper 90's to lower 100's / 60-70's 11-01-2013 I got up to go to the rest room about 5:00 am mouth is dry with odd taste again (maybe a salty taste) and while urinating standing up I became very dizzy. Started to phone and then decided I would try a drink of water. The water seemed to make me feel some better but then down I went. I think I bounced of the wall (maybe door) on the way down. When I came back to I don't remember what position I was in but I remember sliding my back to the door and sitting there for a while. I was sweating a lot. Sweat was even coming out of the top of my head and dripping off of me like huge rain drops. After a while I felt better and got up and washed my head and face and went back to bed for a while. Later I got up and ate a boiled egg and banana with orange juice. Felt a little weak but as the day went on felt better. Left buttock and my neck is very sore after the fall. Right shoulder bothering me more also. Tones in my ears are worse at least the right one. I have noticed my pulse is going up at night after being in bed and seems to continue to increase the longer I am in bed. 11-04-2013 I go back to MD and gave them the following: 11-1-13 About 5 am got up to go pee and while in the bathroom I suddenly became dizzy mouth was dry and salty taste in mouth stumbled around trying to get to phone and decided to get drink of water instead. Drank water and then I thought I felt better and then fainting fell to floor bouncing off the wall (door)? (Later right shoulder, neck and especially left buttock very sore. Neck is stiff and it is hard to sit.) Came back to sweating so much it was dripping from my head like rain. Noticed hemorrhoid later that morning The doctor said x-rays would need to be taken again and they made x-rays of my lower back again. Also told them this day: The nurse - That the blood pressure was high for me The doctor - The tones in my ears and we discussed pinched nerve in my neck While waiting on the x-rays to develop it became their lunch time and they was leaving. Told me I could go and they would contact me but I haven't heard from them. 11-08-2013 This morning my pulse was way up. Went to urgent care. My pulse is already lower by the time they check me and the test don't indicate an urgent problem. My thoughts and questions: I am getting up during the night to go urinate and have realized that each time I get up the later it is into the night or more towards morning my pulse will be higher than earlier. So when I get up the last time in the morning to urinate it will be the highest. Seems related to the need to urinate which in the past I had not been needing to do so much. Seems my body has picked up pace to fight off something Am I allergic to my bed? Am I having a reaction to something toxic: mold, bacteria, chemical, poison - necrosis (necrotic bowel)? Hernia - old one or maybe hiatal one now also? (Have been having indigestion up there for years) Why is the old hernia area hurting so much? Why is my pulse going up so much seemingly the longer I lay down? Why am I needing to urinate more often at night? Why am I having headaches? Why are the tones in my ears so load. Just the jolt from walking, a bump in the road in a vehicle or the click of a computer mouse intensifies it.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Prostate, ear, gastric problem & vasovagal syncope Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX I have gone through the multiple problems which are you are experiencing. I will answer your queries one by one. Firstly, increased frequency of urination, nocturia , urgency and hesitency are features of prostatic hyperplasia. The prostate gland starts enlarging in men above 45 years of age and starts causing urinary symptoms similar to those mentioned by you. This condition is initially managed by medication to relieve the urinary symptoms and later by surgery. You also need to get blood levels of PSA (prostate specific antigen) done. You need to consult an urologist for this problem. Secondly, the ringing and tingling sounds along with hearing different tones of varying intensities suggests a disease process in the inner ear. These symptoms are suggestive of a condition called presbycus. You need to consult an ENT specialist for clinical examination, investigations and management. Thirdly, the fullness and bloating sensation that you are experiencing after having food suggests indigestion and probably regurgitation. You have mentioned that there is history of repair of hiatal hernia. The gastric symptoms can be due to recurrence of hernia. You need to consult a gastroenterologist for complete evaluation of upper gastrointestinal tract before any drug or treatment is instituted. Fourthly, the lower back ache that you are experiencing can be musculoskeletal pain. You have already consulted a chiropodist for this problem. Please follow the management suggested by the chiropodist. Fifthly, you have mentioned that your blood pressure is coming out to be on higher side. Kindly, get your blood pressure measured at regular intervals by your physician. Once you come in the category of hypertensives, anti-hypertensive treatment will be instituted. Sixthly, you have mentioned that you are experiencing a high pulse rate, sweating, dizziness, headaches, fainting attacks. All these symptoms suggest vasovagal syncope. These are seen in people suffering from cardiovascular diseases and may be related to your hypertensive status. Since, you have a history of allergy to various materials you may be allergic to the fabric in your clothes and bedding. There are no symptoms which tell about the allergic reaction to spider bite so possibly the spider bite has not caused any symptom. The hemorrhoids when symptomatic i.e. cause bleeding and pain need to be removed surgically. For this again you need to consult a gastroenterologist. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj