Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Had miscarriage. Trying to conceive get lower stomach pains, like period. Infection test negative. What are these pains?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I had a missed miscarriage at 9 weeks and had to have an abortion.
I've not had a period since.
At 4 weeks and now 8 weeks since the abortion I get excruciating lower stomach pains, like period but 100x worse
I have been to the Dr and had tests for infection, negative. They said it was first ovulation, but it is happening again.
At weeks 6, 7 and 8 weeks after the abortion, I have done 3 pregnancy tests, all negative
I am trying to get pregnant.
What are these pains, I can't move with them? It is worse when I need the toilet, but only for 3 days every 4 weeks so far since the abortion. As if it is a period but I am not bleeding?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, you should undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan (USG) to detect retained bits of previous abortion if any & other pelvic pathology like ovarian or corpus luteum cyst, pelvic endometriosis etc which may present with above features. As you have gotten 3 negative pregnancy test, then it is unlikely that you are pregnant.

Secondly, Intrauterine adhesion (Asherman's Syndrome) is another possibility which is seen in 30% cases following D & C in case of missed miscarriage and leads to secondary amenorrhoea (absence of period).

In such case, hysteroscopy is the gold standard to diagnose uterine scar and extent of that. Adhesiolysis (removal of adhesion) can bring your fertility back with normal menstrual cycle.

Thirdly, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) also can cause the same feature which is also seen in some women following abortion procedure.

Please consult with your gynecologist regarding this and perform above mentioned investigations to pinpoint the diagnosis to get proper treatment.

In the mean time, you can take some anti-spasmodic drugs ( like drotaverine), drink plenty of water/ fluids, keep bowel & bladder habit regular, avoid stress/ tension, maintain genital hygiene and take sound sleep.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor