Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Had miscarriage. Having longer cycles. Lose red blood then brown dischage noticed. Done with cervical smear. Guide?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I had a miscarriage in February at 5 weeks. Since then my cycle has become longer and my periods only last for a day. For this day I lose red fresh blood but for about a week I lose brown/pink discharge. This brown discharge can also happen at other times during the month. I have recently had my cervical smear and am awaiting the results.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

The very first thing, we need to rule out is consequent miscarriage as above clinical features are mostly suggestive with that. Here, one blood test for beta-hCG and Trans Vaginal Ultrasound (TVS scan) is required to rule out implantation bleeding or possible miscarriage along with other pelvic pathology.

Other reasons are old endometrial tissue, vaginal/ pelvic infection, unnoticed polyp, cervical cause etc. Cervical smear examination is also important in this case. Though, you are waiting for result. Here, you need to undergo one pelvic examination with speculum or colposcope to pinpoint the diagnosis after consultation with your gynecologist.

Second thing, longer cycle with less amount of bleeding is called hypomenorrhea in medical term. It may be associated with Asherman's syndrome (intrauterine adhesion) which accounts for 25% following missed miscarriage or D & C (if you had undergone). In such case, hysteroscopy is the gold standard diagnostic test. Hormonal imbalance, mental stress, anemia, change in weight, improper nutrition etc are some other associated factors. Some relevant investigations may be required additionally.

Complete treatment depends on underlying cause. Here, you may need to take hormonal medication, iron supplements etc to regularize period. Other supportive treatment is required on the basis of test reports.

To summarize, you need to consult with gynecologist at the earliest for complete evaluation with above tests and proper medication. You would maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me in follow up section.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor