Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Had mild chest pain. After ECG, found Acute MI and blockage 70%. Diagnosed diabetic. Prescribed Galvusmet. Medication life long?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
Hello Doctor Good Morning.
My Name is XXXXX age - 42 Yrs. Recently I had a mild chest pain & doctor after ECG had found Acute MI and a blockage of 70% for which they have put a Stent. During that period they had done HbA1C test & found that the reading was 7.7, subsequently with in a month it has come down to 6.7 (yesterday's reading). Stent was put on 29th June-13. Now after check ups doctor told me that I am diabetic and suggested Galvusmet in the mornimg and cetaphin in the night.
Is this the right medication am I taking? What is that I should do for bringing my HbA1c below 6 & if I bring this below 6, can I stop the medication. Or Should I take the medicines life long.
Please advise.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in. You have been prescribed with good drugs. You have to get your A1c below 6.5 not less than 6. once this is achieved medicines can be tapered off. If 2-3 months after dosage is reduced, A1c is still less than 6.5, drugs can then be stopped and blood glucose and A1c will have to be checked every 3 months. As long as A1c is less than 6.5 andblood glucose values are normal medicines are not required. If they are not, you need to take them .Diabetes is a chronic progressive disorder and most patients will ultimately require treatment.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor