Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Had medicated stent in heart. What cure and precaution should be taken?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Cardiac Surgeon
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 174 Questions
My Dad had a medcated stent in the heart in Jan'13 due to one of the coronery vessel blockage. He is doing fine now but I'm more worried on his lifestyle. Could you please give soe recommendations what needs to be done now with respect to liefstyle, exercise, food habits and medical check up. Could you suggest a good specialist in Bangalore for my Dad's regular chekc up? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 19 hours later

I will try to answer all your queries one by one.

Lifestyle: Let him be relaxed. Try to avoid stressful conditions. Traveling is allowed. Good habits should be followed. (Avoid smoking and tobacco use if any). Let him not skip the medication and let it be regular as advised.

Exercise: He should be on a regular exercise. Daily brisk walking is advised. He should sweat while walking. He can walk as much as possible until he becomes tired. There is no fixed distance.

Food habits: As the main reason for coronary artery disease is deranged lipid profile, he should avoid fat intake in any form. Let him be free of oily foods, cheese, butter, ghee, XXXXXXX fried items. No added oil in the food. Non-vegetarian food can be taken once in a week. Avoid chicken and mutton, more of fish. Egg white can be taken, but not yellow. Let him consume more vegetarian diet.

Medical checkup: Initially soon after putting the stent he may have to visit his cardiologist very frequently, once in a month. Later on once in six months is required. We do ECG, Echocardiogram, TMT if required.

You can visit me in Bangalore at Sapthagiri superspeciality hospital, Hesaraghatta road, Bangalore.

Wish him good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiac Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor