Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

129 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Had malaria and plural effusion in lung. HIV test came positive. How to improve the hemoglobin level?

Answered by
Dr. Sudarshan


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1391 Questions

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi ,
My father lives in africa and in month of August he contracted Malaria and later pleural effusion in left lung , He came back to India and started the treatment of TB later we diagnosed him with Typhoid and treated him for that , After few days he started getting lose motions and we tested him for HIV which came as positive , his CD 4 was 18 and we have started the ART from yesterday. please suggest which can be best hospital for him or best treatment where we can take him and make him feel better, He is not able to walk properly with loss of appetite , his haemoglobin level is also low
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 23 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for writing in.

He will need admission to hospital immediately .Also he would require IV Fluids,IV antibiotics,blood transfusion along with ART and anti TB drugs.Good nutrition IV amino acids and proteins would be needed.

A multispeciality hospital where a physician, chest specialist and HIV specialist are available along with Intensive care unit would be needed.
XXXXXXX Hrudayalaya Health City
No. 258/A, Bommasandra Industrial Area,
Hosur Road, Anekal Taluk, at Bangalore would be a good option.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for any further clarification.

Dermatology and HIV specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 16 minutes later
Thank you Doctor , Any other hospital if you can suggest in North India. Also he has asked for food and feeling better, how can we get blood transfusion, Their is still lot of social stigma regarding this disease even if it is been contracted without knowingly.
Please suggest we feel very broken.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later
Hi again,

Once you get admitted in hospital ,the hospital will arrange for the blood.
HIV is associated with lot of stigma and descrimination. But with better ART and better healthcare services the life span of HIV patients has increased greatly.

Following are the centers in delhi having good facilities for HIV- XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Lohiya (RML) Hospital ART Clinic

All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) ART Clinic

APOLLO Hospital delhi

With proper treatment and care HIV positive patients can have a better quality of life and longer life span.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Lentiviruses

doctor1 MD

doctor i had sex i quit after that (it was 7 months and 10 days ago )my gf had urine infection i got from her at begining i had eiching on my dech but it went away by washing after 4 days and i had burning sensation and i got aantibiotic for that to makes me ok 2 morning to afternoon after taking for a week i developed feeling of having vommit and vomiting for a month and during that time i think because of urine infection at begining i had bad joiint ache that it moves now is better i did many tests for hiv tll 6 months and 26 days inculed hiv pcr rna 3 times at 43 days 75 days and 6months and aweek all negetive and i got my gf hiv antibodies till 90 days and she was negetive after having sex aweek after or 2 i feel i have fever my tempreture goes up comes down every day different tempreture between 37 to maximum few 37.7 and i still having this for more than 7 months on off dayaria on off joint pain very little joint pain on off lower back pain on off vision blured and chest tight ness i did all test cbc kedney function liver functin nothing is wrong in the tests plz help

doctor1 MD

i had sexual intercourse with 2 partners when i was in teens and now i am 25 years old got married 8 months ago and i have chronic uti from past 1 yr and i am antibiotics for 5 days every months and i have gone through all the test including vdrl and hiv but they negetive.i have ecoil species found in vaginal cultural and pus cells in urine of 5-6 before and now it is 3-4.Is it std's and i am tensed that why it is taking such a long time to cure.Please help me out.

doctor1 MD

I am 18 years old and have had issues with my health ever since I was born. I was born with HIV and have been taking ARV s since 2002. My problem is my body developed slowly and my breasts haven t grown. I m concerned that they will never grown. I want to know if there are hormone supplements that I can take those that will not affect my medication.

doctor1 MD

i have papuolo rash they started behind my knee. now they are on my arms hands and behind. So far I have tried hydrocortisone but it s no help I am also hiv positive with a cd4 count of 1036 with a undetectable status. what is the best treatment for me?????

doctor1 MD

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but like so many others on here, some reassurance is always nice. I realize that my story is much like others that I have been reading through on here (with very helpful answers) but anxiety and...

doctor1 MD

hii doctor , i had full massage from chines lady , no sex . only she put finger in my anus and when finish she hand job on my pines i make p24 ag ab combo after 40 days this test enough or i want any more test thanks

doctor1 MD

Hello, 7 months ago, I french kissed a woman. I do not know whether or not she has HIV , but I am worried that I have contracted it from her. I have no symptoms (although I know that makes littles difference) and as far as I can remember, neither...