Had malaria and plural effusion in lung. HIV test came positive. How to improve the hemoglobin level?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi ,
My father lives in africa and in month of August he contracted Malaria and later pleural effusion in left lung , He came back to India and started the treatment of TB later we diagnosed him with Typhoid and treated him for that , After few days he started getting lose motions and we tested him for HIV which came as positive , his CD 4 was 18 and we have started the ART from yesterday. please suggest which can be best hospital for him or best treatment where we can take him and make him feel better, He is not able to walk properly with loss of appetite , his haemoglobin level is also low
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 23 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for writing in.

He will need admission to hospital immediately .Also he would require IV Fluids,IV antibiotics,blood transfusion along with ART and anti TB drugs.Good nutrition IV amino acids and proteins would be needed.

A multispeciality hospital where a physician, chest specialist and HIV specialist are available along with Intensive care unit would be needed.
XXXXXXX Hrudayalaya Health City
No. 258/A, Bommasandra Industrial Area,
Hosur Road, Anekal Taluk, at Bangalore would be a good option.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for any further clarification.

DrSudarshan
Dermatology and HIV specialist

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 16 minutes later
Thank you Doctor , Any other hospital if you can suggest in North India. Also he has asked for food and feeling better, how can we get blood transfusion, Their is still lot of social stigma regarding this disease even if it is been contracted without knowingly.
Please suggest we feel very broken.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later
Hi again,

Once you get admitted in hospital ,the hospital will arrange for the blood.
HIV is associated with lot of stigma and descrimination. But with better ART and better healthcare services the life span of HIV patients has increased greatly.

Following are the centers in delhi having good facilities for HIV- XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Lohiya (RML) Hospital ART Clinic

All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) ART Clinic

APOLLO Hospital delhi

With proper treatment and care HIV positive patients can have a better quality of life and longer life span.

Hope this helps.
DrSudarshan