Had loose motions after taking ipill. Will that affect the effectiveness of the pill?

Dr. Arif N Khan

OBGYN

Posted on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Birth Control
Question: Hi,
I took an iPill, but after an hour i had loose stools. Will that affect the effectiveness of the pill?
Is it okay if I take another pill in the morning?

Ipill information - WWW.WWWW.WW
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
loose stools doesnot affect the efficacy os I-pill

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX One or two loose stools does not affect the efficacy of I-pill, but still you are in doubt then kindly repeat another tablet within 72hours of sexual intercurse. Usually if you have 3 or more loose bowel movements for 2 days, the effectiveness of the pill may be reduced.
Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Arif N Khan 18 minutes later

Thanks for your answer. Just to confirm, it is okay if I take a second i-pill in about 12 hours time right? Would there be any serious side effects?

Also, is it possible to suggest any regular oral contraception pill?
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Safe to take sond dose.

Detailed Answer:
I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons.
Coming back to your question,
, yes you can take i-pill second dose, there won't be any major side effect. Sometimes you might feel nausea, vomiting or bloating sensation or mood changes due to hormonal effect. Rare side effects like thromobembolic events are associated with women with multiple risk factors such as obese, diabetic / hypertension / smokers. I hope you do not have any such history.

Regular birth control pills should be taken under strict guidance from your treating doctor.

All the best.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad