Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

151 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Had kidney infection. After antibiotic had leukocytes, blood in urine and abdomen ache. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1979

Answered : 2457 Questions

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am a 58 year old female who recently had a kidney/bladder infection. After two courses of antibiotics I still had leukocytes and occasional blood in urinalysis and continual dull ache in both my upper L&R abdomen, which I assumed was probably kidney pain. Saw a specialist who x-rayed my abdomen. He saw no problems in my kidneys but told me my upper colon was very distended. I hadn't noticed any severe constipation, but I went home and decided to take laxatives for a couple of days, which of course produced bowel movements. Problem is I still have this continual abdominal discomfort - a dull heavy feeling. Also some malaise and fatigue. What should I consider next?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pelvic and kidney problem have to be excluded Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef answering your query. From the history, it seems that either there is a persistent infection from the day one or there is recurrent bouts urinary infection after getting cured with antibiotics. There has to be some reason for this persistent/recurrent urinary infection in your case. One such common reason is a possible unnoticed pelvic infection, which could also give rise to your abdominal pains apart from the urinary symptoms. For this I would suggest you to get yourself reviewed by a specialist gynaecologist in your area, who may examine you clinically apart from performing some urine tests and an ultrasound abdomen to rule out any pelvic pathology or any such in the kidneys and the management would depend on the reports. I would also like to know if you eat frequently from outside your home. In that case your abdominal discomfort could be due to some kind of intestinal infection, which could be known by a routine stool test for ova and cyst and it will be cured with treatment. Also I would advise you to eat more of roughage along with plenty of liquids which would relieve you of your mild degree of constipation if it is there. If the urinary symptoms persist and the gyneacologist has cleared you of any possible pelvic infection, I would suggest you to see a nephrologist in your area for a review. I would also suggest you to continue your other medications as advised by your treating doctor. I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts. Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Pelvic infection

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor hope u well. Just a question of curiosity me and my hhsband had intercourse on sunday my cycle normally is 25 days was 28 days but last cycle was 34 days. We had intercourse on sunday. And inwas geting striny discharge. Getting pelvic...

doctor1 MD

i had a c section and a ablasion many years ago but i had unprotected sex about 2 weeks ago and i am throwing up and feeling like i am pregnant. I am spotting today and have not had a period since 2005 and am cramping like i am going to have a...

doctor1 MD

I had unprotected sex on june 9th. and again on june 12th with the same guy. We are both clear of std's, but I have been pregnant before with twins and miscarried. When I was supposed to get my period (june 19th) there was some spotting and some pink discharge, as well as some burning during urination. I have had a horrible migraine for 3 days now, and I was nauseous all day today when I was trying to bake, but I also just had surgery on my jaw, and thought that could be the trigger of my nauseousness. Do you think I am pregnant?

doctor1 MD

Yes im 20 years old and ive missed my period now for 7weeks. i dont know whats going on. I usually come on every 3rd week of the month. Last month i spotted the 26-29 and it was really light, bleed 30th but my pregnancy test was neg. This month my boobs and nipples has been really sore all this month. i crave different things that i never eat. Im eating more and more since then. Im feeling small pains in the lower right part of my stomach. Can you help?

doctor1 MD

I took a HPT that came out faint positive and i havent had a period this month but i have started spotting today. I have taken other HPT tht came out negative but the one I took was early pregnancy test. Ive been getting sick and feeling nauscoeus. Lower back pain. Im bleeding but not bad and not really hurting with cramps. Hats goin on

doctor1 MD

I had unprotected intercourse with my boyfriend on May 18, '13 (May 10 - start of my period) which is may last day of regular menstruation. No ejaculation happened inside me and my bf confirmed that. I'm getting paranoid cause I'm not yet ready to get pregnant so i researched some contraceptives and Nordette is the only available here in our country. So I took nordette 21(4 pills) and another 4 pills after 12 hrs, within 72 hrs after our intercourse. After 4-5 days (May 24), I got a withdrawal bleeding which happened for 4 days. I haven't got my period yet (June 9 or 10, '13) and I'm two weeks delay now. I haven't take a PT yet. Is there a chance that I'm pregnant? How long does Nordette can delay a period? Please reply to my question 'coz it will really help me to stay calm and not to worry. Thank you.

doctor1 MD

at a recent ultrasound i was told i have a slightly enlarged uterus . i have jad ongoing right sided pelvic pain that seems to be worse when i press on it or walk around etc. could this be caused by the enlarged uterus?