Had kidney failure and feeling weak, shaking between hot and cold chills. Could these be signs of kidney issues again?

Dr. Moustafa Saeed

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 88year old father who had kidney failure after an injury two years ago, is weak, fatigued, shaking, goes between hot and cold chills and is not stable on his feet. Could this be signs of kidney issues again? He had the flu shot and has felt like this for 36 hours. He has pain in his left rib cage area as well.
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

The symptoms you describing point towards infection (viral or bacterial).
The infection could be coming from anywhere but usually chest or urinary systems are most common.
But as he had flu shot couple of days ago, then that is the most likely cause (body response to the vaccine).

I will recommend giving him paracetamol 4 times per day, and increase fluids intake for him. If no improvement then he needs to be seen by a doctor.

wish him speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T