Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Had jaundice. Can beer and whiskey cause harm to liver or body?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
From 11th January I was suffering from jaundice my SGPT was under control 47 on 30th January but my bilirubin was 19 at that time. Now my bilirubin is 8 on 6 march. It's going down slowly. I was not alchoholic. Now when should I start alcohol 2 60 ml packs twice in a week? Another thing u please suggest should I drink beer or whisky. In routine from beer and whisky which one is more harmful to liver and body.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the reason of deranged liver function test.
Are you a regular alcoholic?
Why do you want to start alcohol if you were not alcoholic (as you have mentioned)?

In my personal opinion, you should avoid alcohol as it is major cause of liver dysfunction in world apart from viral causes.
Your liver status ans relevant investigations is on improving stage and alcohol intake may cause further deterioration.

You should remain in touch with your treating doctor and take complete course for improvement of liver status.

If still you want to start alcohol then you should wait till complete recovery of liver derangement then you can take alcohol in dosage as you have mentioned.

Whisky is more harmful as compared to Beer.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor