Owl Image

Had intercourse after using fucidin cream on penis. Will this interfere with contraceptive pill?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
My boyfriend used fucidin cream on his penis and then we had unprotected sex around 14 hrs after, will the cream interfere with my contraceptive pill?
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 35 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, contraceptive pills do their action mainly by inhibiting ovulation, increasing the viscosity of vaginal secretion to prevent the sperm motility, and by preventing anchoring of the fertilized ovum in uterus.

On the other side, fucidin cream is an antibacterial agent. It is applied locally. There is minimal systemic absorption. That means the cream's action is limited to that particular area.

So, it is very unnatural for fucidin cream to interfere with effectiveness of pills.

So, do not worry, the cream will not interfere with contraceptive pills.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.