Had hysterectomy. Having brownish vaginal discharge. Is this cause for concern?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago for a prolapse. I am a 72 year old woman who has had a brownish vaginal discharge since then. Is this cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
It is not usual to have brown discharge from vagina so many years after hysterectomy.
It can be due to the infection in the remaining genitourinary passage or may be just a senile vaginitis.
You should get a Gram stain and culture test of the discharge as well as the urine.
Also get a complete blood count test at your place.
It would be advisable to get a local examination of the passage by a local gynecologist with these reports.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!