Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Had hit on head. Developed a large goose egg. CT scan normal. What are the risks?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
My son was in a car accident he hit his head he developed a large goose egg. They gave him a ct scan it came back ok. He still has goose egg but it is really mushy is that normal. The accident was nine days ago, he feels ok. It is not purple but feels like there is water between skin and skull.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

The lump he has on his head after the trauma could probably be a scalp Haematoma.It is a collection of the blood in between the scalp and the skull.This happens due to rupture of scalp veins during the trauma.

Need not worry , this haematoma will resolve on its own.It takes a minimum of 10 days and even more in case of a bigger haematoma to get resolved.The clot does get liquefied before it gets absorbed.This is normal phenomenon and it is at the edge of being gone.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had hit on head. Developed a large goose egg. CT scan normal. What are the risks? 14 minutes later
How long should I let it go before being seen again.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You can wait for 2 weeks.If there is no recovery even after two weeks then the fluid from the lump may have to be removed using a needle in the hospital.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor