Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

149 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Had hip replacement and knee implants. No change after taking hydroxychlorquine for swelling and tingling in hand

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1998

Answered : 5165 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: had a hip replacement done in XXXXXXX 2013, also 2 knee implants done in 12/2010. Ever since the hip replacement mainly on the same day my hands became swollen and feel like breaking glass in the joints and I get fire ant feeling all over my body, every where. I have intensive blood work done by my ra, and he is stumped, no diabetis, no ra, no colitis. I just went from prendazone to sulfazine and hydroxychlorquine. I have been taking this pill for 2 solid weeks, the swelling went down, but the fire ant feeling has not gone away. Can you find me a doctor in the 0000 zip code. Please
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Window for search your health- enter ur area name Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your symptoms Swelling with tingling in hand can be due to diffuse disc bulge compressing your cervical spine. It may co incidentally aggravated after your hip surgery. When such patient comes to my hospital we usually do MRI spine to see for severity of nerve compression. Some medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor. Another possibility of seronegative arthritis in which you may have swelling and pain in hand but RA test will be normal. Also check your vit B12 and vit D3 in your blood. You can search doctor near you locality on our website. On left upper side there is window for search your health, you can enter your area name and find doctor. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on