Had hernia surgery done. Having pain in lower back and buttock area. How to get relief?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi, I had Hernia surgery 6 weeks ago. I still do not feel well. I have pain in the area where the surgery was done. The surgeon did a very neat job, But why do I still have pain? Lower back and Butt pain Also I can feel pain inside of me even when I walk on my upper leg . Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Every surgery causes tissues damage and gives pain some time after it. In the first couple of days after the surgery, the pain is caused by inflammation process in the surgery area. After acute inflammation process, tissues begin to heal and scar tissue is being created. Such process can last months and it is 100% completed after a year. I assume that this was inguinal hernia surgery. The inguinal area is specific as the mesh is inserted in the close neighborhood of two nerves. Sometimes it happens that such nerve gets trapped by a suture, and this can be the reason of severe pain. Some of such pains go away in a months or year. But some does not and another surgery is necessary.
Moreover it is also possible that the surgery has not been successful and the hernia is still there.
All this possible reasons should be verified.
Moreover, lower back pain and butt pain can have another reason like spine disc herniation, sciatica or even ultrasound, soft tissues ultrasound (of the area where the hernia were repaired), urine analysis and blood work, CRP should be performed.
If it is about mesh safety, yes it is safe. Its part is to create a scar tissue which will keep the hernia from getting out of the abdomen.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.