Had hep A, B vaccination. Blood test showed borderline positive HBSAG. Worrisome

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi, I had my first twinrix (hep A, B) vaccination Dec 5, 2012 and the 2nd XXXXXXX 9, 2013. On XXXXXXX 10, 2013 I had a blood test which indicated HBSAG result is borderline positive. Is it possible that because I'm in the vaccination series that this result is skewed and suggesting I have Hep B? Can the vaccination affect the blood test result?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The hepatitis vaccine that you were given contains the hepatitis B surface antigen (HepBsAG) which is one of the proteins associated with that virus.
Normally after the vaccine is given , the body reacts by producing antibodies to the particular protein. The level of antibodies is checked to ensure that the value is above a certain level which would indicate your body has reacted appropriately to the vaccine.

Some persons do not have a full response and may need further immunisation and retesting of the level.

So the reason for the positive anti HBsAG level is the immunisation.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions