Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Had heavy periods with cramps. Did not last for days. Matter of concern?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
hello, i got my period properly on 21st may really heavy and bad cramps, had them yesterday aswell and they have gone today which i find strange as i normally would have them at least 5 days should i be concerned
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query,

It is not uncommon to occasionally have some irregularity in one's menstrual cycle. Such irregularity could be a decrease or increase in the number of days of menstrual flow, a delay or an early menses for a couple of days say 2 to 5 days, change in quantity etc.

Though not uncommon to have these occasionally, prompt investigation ought to be done before concluding on an occasional irregularity.

There are two conditions that must be ruled out;
1. Infections
2. Pregnancy

Infections generally present with cramping and discharges prior and after menses. The discharges generally have a fowl smell and with a dirty or greenish or yellowish coloration.

Pregnancy conditions could range from a miscarriage to ectopic pregnancies. In women who are sexually active, a pregnancy test is imperative to rule out any pregnancy related cause.

So, practically, you will have to do a pregnancy test if you have had unprotected intercourse in the past month or two. If its positive, then you will need to rapidly do an ultrasound. If its negative then that will exclude pregnancy related conditions.

Secondly, if the pregnancy test is negative, you will have to do a vaginal smear for microscopy, and gram staining and to do test such as chlamydia, ureaplasma etc for possible infections. If all is negative and there is no persistent bleeding, we will wait until next menses to see if it persist.

If it does not persist, that will be fine but if it does, further evaluation will be done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be ready to help.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor