Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Had heat boil, ruptured with draining of pus leaving a dry black spot. Should I take any medicine?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
Hello doc

I had a heat boil on my right leg below knee some 30 days back. I didn't consult doctor, I didn't break it. I applied coconut oil, applied direct alovera on a white cotton cloth. It got matured and released puss and dried. now there's only one black dot in there.

My question is Do I have to take any medication? is it cured or is it possible to have some infection inside? My friends told that it requires to slit and get the infection out only then it'll be cured, thats what doctors do. so I'm confused.

Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Thank you for writing to us.
You have developed a heat boil one month back and it ruptured with draining of pus leaving a dry black spot.
Usually heat boils once they rupture ,the pus will be drained and they will heal without applying any medication also.
As one month is over and at present there is no any sign of infection , medication is not required at present.
As there is no any residual swelling and no discharge from the site it is probably cured itself as once the pus is drained these type of lesions heal.
Big abscesses and XXXXXXX seated boils require incision to drainage the pus, but in superficial boils they rupture on their own to release the pus.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to ask me.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had heat boil, ruptured with draining of pus leaving a dry black spot. Should I take any medicine? 39 minutes later
Hi doctor

Thanks for the answer. I have a small doubt, I don't know if mines big or XXXXXXX seated. When I had heat boil, it was very big like the size of a ten rupee coin and swollen big around the area in which I couldn't stand long. and I'm not sure if it's ruptured. I put alovera in a white cloth and tied around it, when I remove there'll be puss. right now there's only one black dot.

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

As you said at present, there is only black dot; mostly it healed.

If there is a swelling underneath the black dot, any redness, or any pain to touch it or any pus discharge, then it can be said that there is some infection and there is need to consult your doctor.
However, in future whenever you get heat boils, application of antibacterial ointment (if it is small) and (if it is big) consult your doctor for drainage of pus and for oral antibiotics if required.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, please feel free to consult.

Thank you very much.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor