Owl Image

Had heart bypass surgery. Took vein from left leg. Why there is a swelling?

Owl Image
Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Question
My friend had a heart bypass 8 years ago and they took the vein from behind his left knee (large incision). Multiple water blisters developed 6 weeks ago and have been very resistant to heal, despite Keflex, and a week of Zosyn in the hospital, including daily wound care. Now he's on biweekly wound care, but still developing water blisters. He's 92 but spry (golfs, drives, sharp), The left leg is slightly swollen, but with no pitting edema (I'm a CRNA.) Can you please give us your best opinion for riddance of these pesky blisters?? Thanks! XXXXXXX Bartlett in TX Blood and wound cultures have grown nothing.
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kruti 29 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for posting your query. I will be glad to be of assistance.

I will try my best to answer all your queries till you get a satisfactory answer.

From your description it seems to be either allergic contact dermatitis or it could be a case of vesiculobullous disease like pemphigus vulgaris.

In order to understand the concern better I would like to ask a few queries:-

1. Are these blisters confined to the leg?

2. How big are they, how many, are they tense blisters?

3. Do they contain water?

4. Are they closely grouped?

5. is there any itching?

Please let me know about the queries I have asked.

Thanking you.