Had hameturia, cloudy urine and bubbles in urine. What could be causing this?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello,
I got uti about 8 weeks back. I had hameturia, cloudy urine and bubbles in urine. The uti seems to be triggered by a eye drop to which I became allergic. I was on course of antibiotics for 3 weeks. The infection cleared up and hameturia also went away.
However since the whole thing started I am always having bubbly urine. My urologist ordered ultrasound, Kub and did urine analysis twice. He found no trace of protein whatsoever. He told me that his tests are much more powerful than routine dr tests and there is no protein. All tests including the blood tests came back negative. Kidney function is fine. The only thing reaminning now is bubbles in urine and slight irritation close to the urethra opening while passing urine and some irritation on tip of penis. When I pass urine,if I allow it fall on sides, the bubbles formed are much less and however when I pass urine into water lot of bubbles are formed and the stay for some time. When i was normal, these bubbles would dissipate immdeiately. It appears like foam now. Sometimes there also seems like some particles. The urologist now suggested cystoscopy.
Is this needed and what could be causing the bubbles in urine and mild irritation. I had a cystoscopy done in 2003, but nothing was found.
Also is cystoscopy painful nowadays and can it cause scarring ?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Hi

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Urine infection and protein are the most common causes.
If these are ruled out the other possible causes are.
1.     Dehydration.
2.     Forceful urination - that just can result in air getting trapped as the stream hits the water.
3.     Fistula – connection between the urinary tract and some part of the bowel.
Kindly speak to your doc and get these ruled out.

Cystoscopes nowadays are flexible scopes rather than the rigid scopes used earlier and so it should not be painful. Since the problem has been there for a while and if other causes ruled out, it is wise to do it as well.
In theory, any urethral instrumentation can cause scarring, but it all depends on the risk benefit ratio.

Wishing you good health,

DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 15 hours later
Can anything in the bladder be causing the bubbles ? How can a fistula be ruled out ? Also you did not answer:
The only thing remainning now is bubbles in urine and slight irritation close to the urethra opening while passing urine and some irritation on tip of penis
Can you point to what may be causing the slight irritation on penis head.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 33 minutes later
I have already listed the causes.
A CT scan or a MRI to start to rule out fistula may be necessary if your doc suspects a fistula based on your history and clinical examination.
The urine may have a fecal smell, if there is a fistula and there should be a history of cancer in the bowel or a complex operation in the bowel.

Irritation is usually caused by infection and a local antibiotic nay be necessary if there is a local problem, Otherwise one more course of oral antibiotic may be needed.

Wishing you good health---

DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 days later
Also one thing I have I noticed is that I cannot get sexually aroused as before and since the UTI started. The foamy urine, irritation and unable to get sexually aroused all started at same time. What is the cause of this ?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
Any illness can cause reduced sexual drive and its consequences of weak erection and so on.
Kindly give more time to see if it improves, once things settle a bit.
I know it is a difficult time. It is worthwhile speaking to partner/ wife so that she can understand the issue, reassure you and get you through the difficult times.
Did you undergo any procedure like CT or cystoscopy?

DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
I have not undergone cystoscopy yet. That was the only thing remaining after all other tests including Ultrasound and kub were completed and were negative. Can cystoscopy show the reason for the bubbles ? Do you suggest I go through it or wait it out and see if the bubbles go away.
I had a cystoscopy done in 2003 and at that time there was no issue. What if no reason can be found for bubbles ? Is that something that can be ignored ?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later
Hi
Welcome back.
You can always wait to see if things settle on its own, unless some new problem develops.
Cystoscopy can help locating a communication with another organ - like bowel for example that can cause bubbles in urine.
Hope this helps,
regards
DR GS