Had gallbladder surgery done. Found raised SGPT and SGOT. Diet and precaution to be taken?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i had gallbladder surgery on 29th nov... now my sgt and sgot is raised ...what can be the cause for this.
sgpt-102,sgot68

LAst month sgpt somwhere around 200...
what diets and precautions i need to take for better health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Normal range for SGPT and SGOT 10-35. So from your reports it is clear that ALT and AST levels are elevated. ALT and AST elevate in presence of parenchymal damage because of alcohol use and they return in normal range after stoppage of alcohol.

Alanine transaminase (ALT)/SGPT
Alanine transaminase (ALT), also called Serum Glutamic Pyruvate Transaminase (SGPT) is an enzyme present in hepatocytes (liver cells). When a cell is damaged, it leaks this enzyme into the blood, where it is measured. ALT rises dramatically in acute liver damage, such as viral hepatitis, paracetamol (acetaminophen) overdose, regular alcohol use and obstruction in bile flow due to gall stone.

Aspartate transaminase (AST)/SGOT
Aspartate transaminase (AST) is similar to ALT in that it is another enzyme associated with liver parenchymal cells. It is raised in acute liver damage, but is also present in red blood cells, and cardiac and skeletal muscle and is therefore not specific to the liver.

In your case levels are sgpt-102 and sgot-68. Both are above the normal ranges. But previously SGPT levels was > 200. It indicate liver damage may be due to gall stone and obstruction of bile flow in your case. But good thing is that slowly levels are coming towards normal range, which is a sign of healing.

Following steps will help you in future:
-Repeat liver function test every month till levels come normal to monitor liver function.
-Liver function test should also include serum bilirubin, albumin and globulin levels to know about liver function better.
-Take milk and fruits in diet.
-Reduce fat intake.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.