Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Had full blood count test and having anxiety. Any chances of having HIV?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9332 Questions
Hello I just had a fbe and everything came clear and the doctor thinks I have very high anxiety from googling symptoms. If a fbc comes back with great results could I still have Hiv?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
FBC can show variety of diseases.but it cant verify is HIV the exact cause of your symptoms. FBC can show is there elevation in inflammatory markers which may suggest any kind of infection,but FBC is not good test for HIV since normal FBC doenst mean that you are HIV neg. But also, HIV is rare and even if there is abnormal FBC, this is the last thing to think of. If you still suspect of HIV you should do HIV testing but at least 3 weeks after suspicious intercourse. Wish you good health.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had full blood count test and having anxiety. Any chances of having HIV? 19 minutes later
But if i had hiv something would come up in my fbc? Wbc? Lymps?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Yes, generally,there would be lower wbc,especially leukocyte count.
But HIV may cause symptoms even after more than 6-7 years from the infection and WBC becomes abnormal few years before symptoms occur. So in first few years afte infection,wbc may be normal and HIV infection cant be detectable without specific HIV tests.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor