Owl Image

Had fracture below fifth metacarpal. Having wrist pain. Could this be related to fracture?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I broke my fifth metacarpal 2 different times over 15 years ago. Now I am having wrist pain on my outer part of my wrist below the fifth metacarpal. It has gradually increased to a pretty immobilizing pain at times. Could this be related to long term effect of those fractures
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Yes, the pain may be related to your old injuries.
- A fracture immobilized with a cast can result in some stiffness at the joint. If physiotherapy is not done properly after cast removal some stiffness persist for a long time. This can cause pain at a later date.
- Besides that, there could be possibilities of ligament injury at wrist during fracture of 5th metacarpal or degenerative tear of wrist ligament at ulnar aspect of wrist [triangular fibrocartilage complex tear (TFCT)].

Without an opportunity to examine your wrist, I am unable to narrow down the possibility to a single diagnosis. Therefore I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may need X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon