Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Had food stuck in wind pipe, unable to breath. Having urge to burp and thick saliva comes out. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
In the past week whilst eating not very much have had food stuck in my wind pipe travelling up and down my back unable to breathe . Very scary and whilst trying to catch my breathe and feel the urge to burp thick saliver comes up ?
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

In such situation, the food parts can be present in the larynx, trachea or in the first part of esophagus. If you have also nausea and problem when eating (feels like it stuck there), esophagus is most probable and it can be the first symptom of some esophagus disease.

If breathing problem is more present than burping and nausea, airwaves inflammation due to food aspiration. Cough and fever can be present.

As food in airwaves can cause serious inflammation, I suggest you to visit your doctor. Chest X-ray and barium swallow should be done at first. Bronchoscopy should be done in case of food presence in the airways.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor