Had food poisoning, loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhoea. Taken Imodium. What is it?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: diarrhoea
it all started on the 2 March when I ate sushi and I had food poisoning, it lasted for 3 days had the symptoms of loss of appetite nausea and diarrhoea, my bm returned to normal, for a week after that I ate chickpeas curry and had an explosive bm, then bowels returned to normal for a week, after that I had eaten late at night some dried apples with an empty stomach , in the morning I had a normal bm, after that I had a very explosive with pain BM felt better after that but in the toilet I noticed that the apples had not been digested, BM returned to normal for a week, after that I had shrimp cocktail with corn and smoked fish, I had mushy green diarrhoea that lasted for 3 days, having taken Imodium I had days that I had no BM and for 2 days my BM were normal, today I had in the morning a normal BM and in half an hour a mushy BM and late at night an another BM an hour ago I had mushy with watery diarrhoea - had 3 immodium today - having said that I had a lot of carob syrup with hot water and on its own yesterday as I believed it would help regulated my bowels, last week my bowel where green but I did have a lot of green mint tea that was very dark those days the day before and today they were brown in colour and the watery last BM brown with yellow - what could this be
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 5 hours later

Looks like you are having intermittent diarrhea since almost a month. If it is watery and large volume with central abdominal pain looks like it is small bowel in origin. Possibly an infection (giardia) or bowel inflammation (inflammatory bowel disease) . Taking imodium will just control your symptoms but not the cause.

You need to get your basic blood workup along with stool examination and culture. Also seeing a gastroenterologist will help to determine what is basic cause. You may need to undergo some specialized examination like endoscopies and if required an CAT scan to determine the etiology.

Green stools usually mean bile color due to rapid intestinal transit and usually suggest an small bowel origin diarrhea. Yellow is normal stool color and brown discoloration could be due to diet, drugs you are taking or presence of altered blood in stools.

Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 33 minutes later
thanks dr when I mention brown I mean that they have returned to normal
as they have always been prior to this incident is brown not how a healthy bm should be
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 23 hours later
Thank you for the query.
Brown if dark may suggest blood in stools (melena) though usually it is black in color. If it is light brown then need not worry likely to be normal as you suggested.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you a healthy life ahead.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad