Had food poisoning. Is there any chance of having GI?
Thank you for the query.
In some cases such acute digestive tract infection does not recover completely and turns into severe intestines infection (assuming that your symptoms were really caused by food poisoning). Such sever infection may more or less disturb digestive tract and in some people can cause IBS. After 2 weeks it should be no sign in your digestive tract of regular food poisoning. So the time of recovery is quite long.
If it is about jaundice, usually it is invisible outside the body and can be noticed only with blood work. The urine gets darker with jaundice and it can be more visible than skin color.
Your recent weight lost is probably caused by dehydration, total stool clearance and lack of solid foods for some time. And adding all up we can get 15 lbs or so.
I suggest you to try Rifaximine 400 mg three times a day during 7 days treatment. This is an antibiotic which helps with such severe infections and can give total recovery. If this treatment wont give any relief, you should have some diagnostics. Stool tests, full blood work, liver tests and bilirubin blood level should be checked at first.
Hope it will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Nausea and hunger after eating, waking up at night hungry, urge to...
- Pain inside anus during bowel movement. Is Xyloproct or preparation H...
- Bad odor in belly button, red substance inside, oozing pus
- Pain in front of arm and at wrist under thumb, swelling and throbbing....
- Chest tightness when walking, upper back discomfort, heartburn, no...
- Lump in chest, painful, have pain in ribs and lower back
- Done hernia repair in belly button, have cramp on right side,...
- Frostbite wound on chest from blister freezer. Itching and peeling off....
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, blood in urine. What do I do?
- Is triple action viriliy purchase thru new vitality safe?