Had flu along with retching. Having pain in ribcage and spinal stenosis. Had mastectomy. Is it related?

Posted on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had the flu on Tuesday with a lot of retching nearly all night. I now have pain on the right side of my rib cage which goes around my waist to the back. I do have Spinal Stenosis. Could this be related. I have a hard time bringing up and because I was bent over the toilet off and on all night my back got very sore. Could this be the problems. I have had a mastectomy on the right side and of course I always wonder if this could be related.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 59 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
it can be caused by both mastectomy and spinal stenosis.
but also it could be sign of pneumonia which progressed from flu especially if there is cough and pain in lungs.
but if the pain is associated with movements then it is more likely spine disorder such as spondilitis, nerve compresion, disc hernia etc. You should do ct or mri to verify this. Till that try not to do moves that agravate pain, have massage and warm baths which will relax spine muscles and nerves. Do streching exercises every morning. If you notice breathing difficulties, pain progression, numbness on neck and arms or weakness in arms, you should visit hospital. Wish you good health. If you have questions I ll be glad to help.
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon