Had fever and high BP. MRI showed infract on thalamus and Cerebral Spinal Fluid. What causes this?

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi, I got an MRI done the other day and the radiologist said that i had a small infarct on my thalamus. But i was wondering when looking at the mri why there is excess cerebral spinal fluid on the top of my brain. I have been having a fever with this and high blood pressure and im just wondering what this could be. I included a picture of the mri that i saw the excess cerebral spinal fluid on.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Excess CSF fluid is due to atrophy of brain. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I have gone through your MRI images.Though you didn't send axial images,there are prominent CSF spaces on the top of brain.It is due to mild atrophy of brain parenchyma. Due to atrophy in brain there is shrinkage of brain tissue and it allows CSF spaces to expand.You are only 29 years old and it is early to have atrophic changes. Small infarct in thalamus may be due to ischemia and this is supported by your hypertension history.Hypertension is also early in your case.Renal doppler should be done to exclude renal cause of hypertension. You also need few investigations for thorough checkup. Investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,ECG in all leads,Urine RE/ME,ultrasound of abdomen should be done. You should consult neurologist for brain findings and cardiologist for hypertension. You should take medicines regularly for hypertension and also increase your physical activity in the form of walking,exercise . Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist