Had endometrial ablation. Can I get pregnant?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello, I am a 49 year old healthy non-smoking woman who 2 years ago had a balloon ablasion. I would like to get pregnant - please tell me my odds, and where to start?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: PREGNANCY NOT RECOMMENDED, NOR VERY LIKELY . Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query. I assume you are talking about an endometrial ablation. This is destruction of the lining of the uterus. Most such ablations are not 100 % effective, and hence a significant number of women can continue to have menstrual bleeding within some years of the procedure. Please let me know if this is true in your case, as these women with some amount of functional endometrium are the ones morst likely to achieve a pregnancy after the procedure. The fertilized egg might luckily find a patch of undestroyed lining to get implanted on. Theoretically speaking, pregnancy after balloon ablation is possible, but the situation is fraught with unique complications, to the extent that most practitioners advocate birth control until menopause for such women. However, pregnancy after balloon ablation is NOT recommended because of the higher odds of miscarriage and pregnancy loss. Even if you do manage to conceive, the uterine lining has been destroyed, so implantation would occur in the muscular part of the uterus, and such conceptions are most prone to miscarriage. The placenta also has high chances of abnormal implantation and development. Such placental complications can be life threatening. That said and done, that is, I would discourage pregnancy in a patient with such a procedure, your age also has to be considered. Natural fertility at 49, touching your fifties is rare. You would have to take the help of ART ( assisted reproductive techniques ), as your ovarian reserve ( capacity to form good egg follicles ) would be almost lost at 49. Surrogacy might be a good option for you considering the state of your endometrium also, in conjunction with donor eggs, if your ovarian reserve is tested and found to be low. Ovarian reserve is tested by antral follicular count on ultrasound and measuring level of a hormone called AMH I would ask you to first consult a gynecologist and assess your natural fertility potential ( egg - wise ) and then consider taking upon the risks of conception due to ablation. All the best. please feel free to discuss further anytime. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Thank you - this is the exact procedure I had. I have heard that some doctors did this to young woman because they could not conceive to 'clean out' the uterus, and start over perse. I still have normal periods and am not menopausal. Dang - I was hoping for better news. So, if it were you - you would not even try? and again - thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer: TRIED TO ELABORATE FURTHER. Detailed Answer: Thanks for your appreciation . Now , thats a poser - if I were you, what I would do is this - 1. Have an assessment to realistically calculate my odds of actually getting pregnant at 49. That is, I would have a doctor estimate my ovarian reserve, and tell me how successful I would be , if I were to try to conceive naturally, or even with the help of expensive and complicated artificial techniques. 2. Then, I would understand that a pregnancy, even if it results, would be fraught with inherent complications due to the procedure done earlier, and then I would take calculated risks - whether I want to embrace those risks and still go ahead, or not. I would suggest the following links that you can read up - WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW These are scientific studies, and not just discussion threads / blogs, where the information is generally subjective, and not applicable to all. I hope I have been clear enough. I wish you luck though - all choices in life are highly personal and individual, I can never be in your shoes and feel your need for a child, all I can do is provide you with the facts as they stand, and then pray that you succeed with whatever you choose. Take care, Feel free to contact me directly anytime at - WWW.WWWW.WW