Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

134 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Had endometrial ablation. Can I get pregnant?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6013 Questions

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello, I am a 49 year old healthy non-smoking woman who 2 years ago had a balloon ablasion. I would like to get pregnant - please tell me my odds, and where to start?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: PREGNANCY NOT RECOMMENDED, NOR VERY LIKELY . Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query. I assume you are talking about an endometrial ablation. This is destruction of the lining of the uterus. Most such ablations are not 100 % effective, and hence a significant number of women can continue to have menstrual bleeding within some years of the procedure. Please let me know if this is true in your case, as these women with some amount of functional endometrium are the ones morst likely to achieve a pregnancy after the procedure. The fertilized egg might luckily find a patch of undestroyed lining to get implanted on. Theoretically speaking, pregnancy after balloon ablation is possible, but the situation is fraught with unique complications, to the extent that most practitioners advocate birth control until menopause for such women. However, pregnancy after balloon ablation is NOT recommended because of the higher odds of miscarriage and pregnancy loss. Even if you do manage to conceive, the uterine lining has been destroyed, so implantation would occur in the muscular part of the uterus, and such conceptions are most prone to miscarriage. The placenta also has high chances of abnormal implantation and development. Such placental complications can be life threatening. That said and done, that is, I would discourage pregnancy in a patient with such a procedure, your age also has to be considered. Natural fertility at 49, touching your fifties is rare. You would have to take the help of ART ( assisted reproductive techniques ), as your ovarian reserve ( capacity to form good egg follicles ) would be almost lost at 49. Surrogacy might be a good option for you considering the state of your endometrium also, in conjunction with donor eggs, if your ovarian reserve is tested and found to be low. Ovarian reserve is tested by antral follicular count on ultrasound and measuring level of a hormone called AMH I would ask you to first consult a gynecologist and assess your natural fertility potential ( egg - wise ) and then consider taking upon the risks of conception due to ablation. All the best. please feel free to discuss further anytime. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Thank you - this is the exact procedure I had. I have heard that some doctors did this to young woman because they could not conceive to 'clean out' the uterus, and start over perse. I still have normal periods and am not menopausal. Dang - I was hoping for better news. So, if it were you - you would not even try? and again - thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer: TRIED TO ELABORATE FURTHER. Detailed Answer: Thanks for your appreciation . Now , thats a poser - if I were you, what I would do is this - 1. Have an assessment to realistically calculate my odds of actually getting pregnant at 49. That is, I would have a doctor estimate my ovarian reserve, and tell me how successful I would be , if I were to try to conceive naturally, or even with the help of expensive and complicated artificial techniques. 2. Then, I would understand that a pregnancy, even if it results, would be fraught with inherent complications due to the procedure done earlier, and then I would take calculated risks - whether I want to embrace those risks and still go ahead, or not. I would suggest the following links that you can read up - WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW These are scientific studies, and not just discussion threads / blogs, where the information is generally subjective, and not applicable to all. I hope I have been clear enough. I wish you luck though - all choices in life are highly personal and individual, I can never be in your shoes and feel your need for a child, all I can do is provide you with the facts as they stand, and then pray that you succeed with whatever you choose. Take care, Feel free to contact me directly anytime at - WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Uterus

doctor1 MD

hi me and my boyfriend had sex and the condom broke,the next day i went and got the morning after pill, a couple a months later i woke up one mornning witha lump in my stomach and my boobs sagging dramatically,i thought i was pregnant but the doctors said no,i had a uterine infection,so they gave me doxicyline hyclate,it got rid of it,but then a couple weeks later it came back even worse,it felt like i had a base ball stuck at the bottom of my bladder,went to doctor they gave me cipro it got rid of it,but a couple months later it came back again as a severe bloated painful stomach,so they gave me ofloxacin,and its still big bloated and hard.and hurts.they say its a fibroid but it started off as an infection,then grew to a painful baseball that tried to pass through my bladder,but got cured by cipro,but went up inside my uterous and made it big and hard,i need help please tell me what this is,,seriously

doctor1 MD

Hello. I m 32 years old and had my 4th c-section in December 2013, when I was told that my bladder is stuck to my uterus. Since my period started on Wednesday I ve been having some pain on the left side of my lower abdomen and at times it is so severe I can t stand up straight. When the pain subsides it leaves the area feeling quite sore and tender to the touch. Could this pain be related to my adhesions? I ve run a pregnancy test and that is negative. My GP is treating me for a UTI as there were a few white blood cells in my urine. I ve not been feeling quite right since my surgery and my wound was infected for a while and had to be cauterised. I can t tell what s related to my body recovering from pregnancy/surgery, or whether something else is going on.

doctor1 MD

My sister just told me that she has a mass measuring 22mm on her uterus. She is an otherwise healthy female 32.5yrs old. About 5 5 and weighs about 155-160lbs. There is a family history on the Maternal side of fibroids and Uterine/ovarian cancer. Is there a correlation between the size and whether or not it is cancerous? Also there has been active bleeding and her doctor is calling for surgery to remove the mass. Obviously I am concerned especially since we do not live close.

doctor1 MD

There is immediate and satisfactory opacification of the uterine cavity showing smooth marginal outline and normal mucosal pattern. There are no definite evidence for filling defectsnor abnormal areas of extrinsic deformities. The left fallopian tube is unopacified. There is well visualization of the right fallopian tube showing normal caliber and course with spillage of contrast into the peritoneal cavity. What does this mean?

doctor1 MD

Why do I have pain in the bladder area and irritation in the vagina after sex it lasts for days. Iam 80 years old

doctor1 MD

What should be the normal cervical length during each stage of pregnancy?

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I have PCOD and prominent symptoms of it like facial hairs, lethargy , thinning of hair, irregular period with gaps of 2-3 months usually. I already have a kid of 10 years and my age is 38 years. I am quite heavy with 80 kgs weight as...